Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Little Man's Bedding Collection: Know When to Splurge and When to Save



I've been working on his room for a while now, knowing the look I wanted, but also knowing that it would not be achieved with a bed-in-a-bag.

His frame came from a thrift store and it's solid! After cleaning it up, it's in fantastic shape. I paid $50 for the entire frame.

I have 3 sheet sets for his bed. Staying with the greens or browns. The striped set (on his bed in the picture) is my favorite! I found that Ross is a great place to get sheet sets for cheap! They're not amazing quality, and you won't find me sleeping on them, but for a child they work great!

The two Euro shams are from Ikea. It was a set that came with a queen size coverlet that I currently have on my bed. They are a quilted material that's super thick and the perfect masculine touch I was looking for.

The brown pillow was from Target several years back for $4.99 (clearance) and I think it's been on every bed in our house at one point.

The burlap pillow was made for me by a friend using burlap from JoAnne's and a pillow form I already had.

Now for the splurge...the only thing in his room that was new (besides his dresser) when it came into our house. Like I said, his room has taken a while to piece together! His quilt and dinosaur sham are from Pottery Barn Kids.

I have my reasons.

1. He is very hard on things. I needed a thick comforter that was quality enough to stand up to him. That I could wash. That was dark to hide stains. That was neutral enough to grow with him.

2. It's very hard to find cute boy bedding.

3. I wanted it to lay nicely on the bed and look quality. So sometimes that means that you have to buy quality.

4. I had been very thrifty with the rest of his room and this was worth it.

5. I used my own birthday money...oh yes, I did.


I like that his bedding is not from an entire set. I like that it's pieced together for a specific look. It is all boy and it still fits into my design plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Bananas and Damask Interiors! I'm so glad you have stopped by and very thankful you are choosing to leave a comment. I appreciate feedback and love to answer any questions!

I hope you have a new idea to put to use or a new inspiration for your home after joining me today. My desire is to encourage you with realistic ideas that can be achieved with any budget or home.

So go...be inspired by real living in sophisticated settings!